by Keith Henry
Morgan State defensive back Nico Scott has gone though a lot in his life. But the love of and from family and community has served as an inspiration and ultimately steered him back to the Maryland/D.C. area and into Morgan State University from his former school at Syracuse University.
Family has introduced Nico to the sport. Nico said, "My older brother Santino introduced me to football. We're four years apart. Growing up, every child wanted to be like their older sibling. In my case, my older brother played football and it influenced me."
His influences in life and football are very close to Nico as well. " An inspiration in my life is my father. I've seen him go through a lot," said Nico. "I've seen a lot growing up. So (in) my father, I've seen him as a hardworking individual. A hardworking man. But he's been a huge inspiration. Also by coming from Washington, D.C., I've grown up in the rougher parts of the city, namely Southeast D.C. where I've seen a lot of gang violence, a lot of friends that have been slain that had a huge impact on my inspiration to do what I do."
Another source of inspiration for Nico came in the form of Curtis Brinkley, his teammate while at Syracuse. Nico still uses Brinkley's story to inspire himself daily. Nico states, "I've seen Curtis come from the abyss and rise to the top. He's been through a lot," said Nico. "Curtis lost his father and had knee surgery. Everybody had counted him out, but he perservered along the way. He had a great senior year and was picked up by the San Diego Chargers. Seeing him fight, struggle and go through everything he went through. It goes to show you that it's not over until you say it's over. Seeing Curtis push forward through everything just has been a huge inspiration. I constantly remind myself everyday that if Curtis can do it, I can do it."
Once Scott decided to transfer, it was an easy decision for the senior to come to Morgan. Scott stated, "It was moreso the location. While I was at Syracuse playing for a couple of years and starting, my parents never really got a chance to come and see me play due to financial reasons and them living so far away. Coming to Morgan State gave themthe opportunity to get here by carpooling with somebodyand maybe come see me play and this is my last year. I need all the support that I can get. That had a huge influence on me coming to Morgan State."
This season, the 5-11, 185-pounder is a critical component on the Bears’ stingy defense. He has almost instantly become one of the best corner’s in the league and much of the time, Scott has been matched up against the opposition’s top receiver, and he has more than held his own.
Scott is loaded with veteran savvy, blessed with 4.4 speed, and players like young cornerbacks Lafredo Brady, Joe Rankin and Dereck Kinchen can glean valuable tips from him.
Joe Rankin said, “Nico Scott is on the other side of myself, I learn a lot from him. I have very good chemistry with Nico, he is a senior and it’s my freshman year. He is coming from Syracuse so he has brought a lot of the skills he attained there back to Morgan. And a lot of his experience he has shared with me. Playing by somebody like him has definitely inspired me as a player and helped to improve my game and boost my confidence. We share a lot of the same characteristics a lot of people say we are just alike on and off the field. I like studying Nico, I watch a lot of film on Nico to see his tendencies and see what he is doing and try to mimic what he does to the best of my abilities.”
“I think that it’s really important to have leadership on the team,” explained teammate Jephte Cherenfant. “Nico came in as a veteran player which is good, because he has a lot of experience and we need that as a team.”
It is ironic Scott dons the Blue and Orange, for growing up he said, “I knew a little bit (about MSU). I just knew the name. I really didn’t know anything in particular about the program, the school side or the sports side.” and he grew up in Washington (D.C.) and went to school at Eleanor Roosevelt HS. Scott was only recruited by Division I-A (or FBS) schools during his time at Eleanor Roosevelt HS.
Scott began his high school career at Ballou High where he was an All-conference quarterback during his 9th and 10th grade years, before transferring to Roosevelt where he completed his prep career.
“Nico is going to step up as the leader in the secondary, especially with [Darren] McKhan being down right now,” said MSU head coach Donald Hill-Eley. “He’s doing a good job and making good plays for us.”
Nico is always looking for ways to elevate his game. Scott stated about this, "Everyday when I go out on the practice field, I try to go out there and I try to critique myself. I try not to make the same mistake twice. So if it's a technical error that I made in a game, I zero in and try to focus on not making the same mistake twice. On the next level, it's about not making the same mistake over and over again. that's an easy way of cancelling yourselfout of a situation. So (I have) to play mistake free, fast, physical and make plays. that's the only way that I can elevate my game."
MSU defensive coordinator Herbert Parham said about Nico, "Nico is a very consistent hardworking young man, he is a cover 3, cover 1 type of guy, but what we do is cover 2 and he has adapted really quick. He has put in a lot of time and work, and is always on time for things. He is a very enjoyable young man to coach, he is a real student of the game, even though he is quiet. And the fact that he has already graduated and is working on another degree says a lot about his character."
Scott already has two interceptions on the year, he ran one of them back for a touchdown. So Nico has made some contributions to team. However, he's looking to do more to help Morgan State earn a MEAC championship and an NCAA tournament bid.
What does it mean to have a veteran CB on the squad like Nico?
Hill stated simply, “Leadership.” He’s the last line of defense, and he has shown that he can run with anybody and he's physical.”
Wherever he goes he’s the leader, not only on the field, but also in the classroom.
Nico graduated from undergrad at Syracuse at the age of 20, and enters his second year of graduate school where he’s pursuing a Master’s degree in sociology and is on track to finish this spring.
Nico's goals in life do include professional football. But he wants to contribute far more than that to his community. His goal, if football doesn't pan out, is to go into law enforcement. possibly working for the CIA, FBI or something of that nature.
However, Nico has a bigger project in mind. "My biggest project I like to pursue is opening up a group home," said Scott. "Starting a non-profit organization for at-risk and high-risk youth in Washington, D.C. Particularly in the Southeast part because I grew up there. I believe in giving back to the community. My community made me who I am. Regardless of what I do and how my career is promising in football, I will still come back and have a non-profit organization working with kids."
No comments:
Post a Comment